CIL Combat
  Index   |   Setup   |   Setup   |   Battle   |   Night  |  Resolution   |   Special   |   home
PLAYER SEQUENCE  
ENDING A BATTLE
Cease-Fire - If both sides declare a cease-fire, than combat ends and returns to the Tactical View.
Retreat - If both sides declare a retreat, than combat ends and returns to the Tactical View with both armies expending 5 Action Points to move away from each other. If only one side declares a retreat, than there is a 25% chance it is successful with a loss 1-10 hits worth of units, a 65% chance that it is unsuccessful (Battle continues) with a loss of 1-10 hits worth of units and a 10% chance that it results in a ROUT, explained below. In any case, there is a loss of 10 points of morale for all units, except in the case of a ROUT, which follows the rules below.

MECHANICS  
COMBAT RESULTS OF OVERRUN LOCATIONS
If the Reserve is OVERRUN, than an army is considered to be Encircled. It cannot Retreat or Disengage and it follows the same supply rules as an army Cut Off From Supply. If the Main Body is OVERRUN, than an army is Broken. The battle ends at the next MOVE PHASE and the army disappears from the strategic map. 30-40% of its remaining units are recouped by its player. All other armies of that nation suffer a loss of 5 points of morale. All armies of the victorious player gain 5 points of morale, the victorious army gains 10 points.
If the Main Body and Reserve are both OVERRUN, than this is a Cannae. The battle is immediately over. 10-20% of the army's remaining units are recouped by its player. All other armies of that nation suffer a loss of 10 points of morale. All armies of the victorious player gain 10 points of morale, the victorious army gains 15 points.


POSSIBLE BATTLE RESULTS
Attacker expends all action points - Battle ends and must wait until the next turn to continue.
One army retreats or disengages - Battle ends and the retreating or disengaging army expends 5 Action Points to move away from the opposing army. If the opposing army has enough action points, it can move and initiate another battle. All other armies of that nation suffer a loss 2 points of morale.

VICTORY DECISION
The army which retreats or is destroyed is considered to have lost the battle, the remaining army has won the battle. If neither army retreats, than the battle is considered a draw.

UNIT QUALITY CHANGE
After the battle, units have a chance to increase in quality, depending on the results of the battle and the unit's current quality:
Irregular - After a victory, 50% chance of unit quality changed to Regular. After a defeat, 50% chance of unit quality changed to Conscript.
Conscript - After a victory, 50% chance of unit quality changed to Green. After a defeat, no change.
Green - After a victory, 50% chance of unit quality changed to Regular. After a defeat, 25% chance of unit quality changed to Regular.
Regular - After a victory, 50% chance of unit quality changed to Veteran. After a defeat, 25% chance of unit quality changed to Veteran.
Veteran - After a victory, 25% chance of unit quality changed to Crack. After a defeat, no change.
Crack - After a victory, 25% chance of unit quality changed to Elite. After a defeat, no change.


Media
Cast Iron Life is an Oilbased game